OF THE LACUNY EXECUTIVE COUNCIL MEETING
L. Klusek, J. Bornstein (BB), L. Lawton (BX), M. Corpus (BC), M. Borries (CO), R. Laurich, S. Van Nort (CC), K. Madden, J. Xiao (SI), J. Fitzpatrick (GC), W. Casari (HO), L. Finder (HC), M. Kiriakova, E. Sexton (JJ), M. Nash (KB), K. Schlesinger (LG), E. Wallace (LE), D. Yazdani (ME), A. Leonard (NY), R. Gomez (QC), S. Beck (QB).
Borough of Manhattan
Community College, Centro de Estudios Puertorriquenos, CUNY Law School at Queens
Acceptance of agenda.
Announcements: (Kenneth Schlesinger)
- The new members of the Executive Council and Executive Officers were introduced.
- A word of thanks and appreciation was extended to L. Roccos for her service to LACUNY as the previous President.
An announcement was made regarding the 2004 Grants Workshop
organized by the LACUNY Professional Development Committee on
- An acknowledgement was extended to R. Laurich as a previous LACUNY President for his advice to the new President. K. Schlesinger noted his background in theatre and an emphasis on public events, workshops and presentations would be part of the events during his tenure.
- The Publications Committee will be re-invigorated and the News from CUNY Libraries will be revived.
- LACUNY is a voluntary organization that is a forum for discussion and assessment of policies that can affect all of the CUNY libraries. Members were encouraged to join a committee.
The LACUNY Directory is being updated.
The information compiled on the staff survey sheets will be entered on a
computer disk that will be submitted to each Chief Librarian who will verify
that the listing of the staff in their respective libraries is correct or the
delegate will review the listings by
L. Lawton attended the Council of Chief Librarians meetings on April 19th
- There is about $25,000 in the bank a healthy balance. Items for consideration by the Budget Committee can be sent via e-mail to her and then they will be presented to the Executive Committee.
E. Owusu-Ansah was very aggressive about getting vendors at the
LACUNY Institute, for a fee of $500 each.
Due to the elimination of Executive Council two meetings over the
course of the year, all fiscal business had to be conducted at the March
meeting. It was proposed to
re-instate the calendar of Executive Council meetings on a monthly basis, and
this was approved by the Executive Council.
A. Bielskas (
to this meeting the Budget Committee met and discussed this requests submitted
by one LACUNY
Committee for expenditure approval:
Development Committee requested $100.00 for program refreshments to be served on
K. Schlesinger submitted a request of $400.00 for refreshments for
a reception to welcome Curtis Kendrick as the new University Librarian. They
will be served on Friday, October 1st, a date agreeable for Mr.
Kendrick, unless the LACUNY membership would like to welcome him at the December
meeting or at the October 12th Executive
Committee instead. This request was approved.
- The Professional Development Committee is holding the 2004 Grants Workshop on September 24th. Recipients of PSC-CUNY grants from CUNY libraries will speak about their research.
- The co-chairs are B. Evans and S. White. The topic is Digital Renaissance: Open Access and Digital Archives. The committee will meet Wednesday, September 29th, Baruch College Room 415.
- The 2004 Institute Committee asked that the proceedings be videotaped. Instead the proceedings were mounted as a streaming video on the World Wide Web. It was proposed that the proceedings be published in Urban Library Journal.
- It will be issued in a new web-based model. A question was raised regarding whether an article appearing in an electronic journal counted as a professional publication.
The directory was
discussed previously by L. Lawton.
News from CUNY Libraries will be revived in a web-based
K. Schlesinger requested a $50.00 donation in memory of Yvonne
Bennett (formerly of
- L. Lawton reported that there are two new co-chairs to come up with new programs.
They were encouraged to have a public program.
L. Ellis is now serving on this committee.
There was no old business to discuss.
- J. Borstein has to resign from ULJ. An interim editor needs to be appointed by the LACUNY President.
- R. Laurich suggested the formation of a LACUNY Listserve. Such a Listserve was nearly launced by M. Ra and M.-L. Hom previously. CULIBS is not accessible for some Gittelson union library staff members.
A Yahoo user group
will be created for the LACUNY Executive Council.
A motion was entered to adjourn the meeting at